Friday, December 16, 2011

Analog to Digital Gaming Just Got Interesting

I can't tell you how many hours I have spent plodding out new characters for Dungeons & Dragons. It is a constant obsession. For the past 15 years I have been playing with the same group of friends. It has been on again off again for that time, but we have always come back to the table. Some of us enjoy it more than others. Some of my fellow gamers enjoy Xbox Live multiplayer over the table top gaming world, but to each their own. Give me long, tactical battles that can be swayed by chance. Give me a chance to play a character that will cause eyes to roll or generate a laugh. At anytime we can stop the game, look at each other and recall a story from the week prior, order pizza, have a smoke or stop to watch the latest game preview.

Those benefits aside, let's talk about the shared storytelling or the interactive fiction involved with a tabletop role-playing game. As a group we have generated an incredible amount to content through this ritual. These stories are valuable. We can remember whose character unleashed the wrath of an ancient god or role-played out of a scripted fight. We did this communally.

I was hopeful when the massively multiplayer online roleplaying game appeared. I was so excited to share this experience in the realm of video games. I remember creating my first character in Everquest, he was an old befuddled High Elf Enchanter who liked to fish. I would play the game and interact with others as this character. But it seems I was doing it wrong, not to many people caught on and I couldn't level up as a "roleplayer." Countless mmorpgs have graced my pc, none have replicated the exhiliration I get when gaming with my friends around the table with pen and paper. They have generated new addictions and obsessions (thanks for those by the way) but it is not the same.

But now these guys come along:



If you are still not clear on this you should check out their Kickstarter donation page. It is simply amazing and ambitious and just god-damned clever. Go ahead, Ill wait for you to come back...

I hope these guys can make it happen. In fact, anyone who can, chip in $5 to this Kickstarter. Consider it my Christmas present.

I will be one the first ones to start the story rolling, who wants to be the hero?

Follow these ambitious fellows on the Twitter, @WrittenWorldHQ

No comments:

Post a Comment